May 24, 2013

Nature vs. Nurture

Ahhhh, the question everyone asks. Why are we the way we are?? 
Sooo what does come first? Our tendencies or our roles? 

So as you can see, we talked about gender roles and tendencies of men and women. We know that society and media may influence in clothing, toys, the way we speaks and the tasks we are assigned. 
Some of the tendencies we came up with were:
Females tend to be more:
  • compassionate
  • sensitive
  • communicative
  • relationship oriented 
  • expressive
  • and have connected brain (make connections easier)
Males tend to be more:
  • tough
  • aggressive
  • task oriented
  • think spatially
  • have a segmented brain (hard to make connections) 
I think the part that gets controversial is when feminist start arguing that they are not equal to men and that women can be like men. But what I really came to love and understand is that it's good to be different. We need to be different. Or else it would be really boring. We need to be different in order to complete different tasks. Perhaps that is why women tend to have those qualities because we are the one to have and raise children. I don't mean to say men can't have these qualities as well. I think that is why we must learn from one another :)

One of the things my professor said regarding to marriage, "We do not come together as halves to become a whole, but we come together so we both may become whole, we then become one" and my favorite thing he said was, "Marriage isn't normal, it's divine". What I got from that was that human beings, the natural man, is selfish and marriage is about become unselfish and learning from one another. I love this class! I learn so much! I hope you are too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment